the last one tho
who is this guy. i feel like he speaks to the depths of my very soul. especially today.
DO YOU EVER JUST
GET JEALOUS SO EASILY
THAT PERSON IS MINE
DON’T BREATHE AROUND THEM PLEASE AND THANK YOU
sorry to ruin such a lovely day, but I’m going to bring up the Grind since it’s August.
every year, the faroe islands kill thousands of endangered long-finned pilot whales for sport. it is considered a tradition that goes back to the 1500s and is carried out still today. it is called The Grind.
some argue ruining a tradition so old is immoral and disrespectful to those living there, but considering the endangerment of these animals and the brutality that takes place, it should be easy to say that a stop needs to be put to this.
long-finned pilot whales travel in nearby, warmer waters to give birth. those that take part in The Grind could care less that they are slaughtering, torturing, and ripping out fetuses from pregnant whales.
what happens to the meat? some of it is divided up among the locals, yet most of it is left to rot on the beach. the meat is also quite poisonous due to pollutants in the water and is not considered okay for consumption.
WARNING: Gruesome Description
So how does an entire community manage to go out and kill pilot whales? Do they use harpoons like Japanese whalers, or large boats? No.
Boats go out to herd up the whales who are usually far from the shore area. They push them towards the shore in a similar way the infamous Taiji Cove does; by creating loud noises and vibrations in the water to get the whales in the direction they want. the whales are chased to shore, where they become stranded and trapped. Those that are not lead to shore are hooked near the blowhole and dragged.
then the community begins the slaughter. those that are stranded are stabbed with knives. Their veins and arteries are cut to prevent blood from reaching their heads. The process is not only gruesome and gory, but long. it can take 30 seconds to 5 minutes for a pilot whale to die. not only do the individual whales face this ordeal, but they are surrounded by family going through the same thing and are aware of everything that happens to them.
children take part in this, often getting help from parents to slaughter the whales. they pose on dead carcasses for pictures and smile. others rip out the fetuses of the whales or continue mutilating them for enjoyment.
This event is technically illegal, considering the species most often killed is endangered. However, the Faroese government allows it.
Sea Shepherd is beginning to take part in ending it. They are going out this year to try and prevent the Grind from happening and bringing awareness to those performing the actions to understand that the cetaceans they are killing are fully aware of themselves, their family, and have the same emotions as humans and perhaps more.
This year, luckily, the presence of Sea Shepherd prevented the whaling from occurring. No whales have been killed this year.
There are 2033 notes on this post about white people killing something endangered. I guess black people need to be endangered before anyone cares that they’re killing us.
1. Don’t bring the focus on this away because something “greater” or “more important” is happening. That’s ridiculously selfish.
2. Not every fucking post can be about one topic or discuss everything.
3. This doesn’t even discuss anything racial or violence against humans, but you’re turning it into a completely different subject.
4. Hey, some people fucking CARE about whales. It doesn’t matter if they’re endangered, they are whales, which perhaps you don’t know much about considering you seem to not give a shit.
5. These are many posts bringing awareness to how cops and other people have been treating those of different races. Obviously not enough though, but that doesn’t mean you should just disregard a post going around.
6. This post IS going around because barely anyone knew about this happening. Many people are finally becoming aware of what’s going on to other people, but this is about a completely different species.
7. Your last sentence wasn’t only disrespectful to those who give a shit about animals and their existence, but somewhat degraded the people you were trying to defend.
8. You should complain on a separate post to stop taking attention away from it for selfish gain, (when i say “selfish gain”, i don’t just mean you personally; i mean human gain and for something in the human world that needs to be fixed).
you are water, 12 ft deep and I am boots made of concrete.
everyone just freaks out like OH MA GAWD THINK OF THE CHILDREN
wow look at this terrible role model for young girls.